- A new start … February 11, 2019
- AduLet kickoff meeting at PH Ludwigsburg December 1, 2016
- root your whiteboard … November 18, 2016
- Creating games with visual programming tools and … July 16, 2016
- Off to MIT … July 13, 2016
Category Archives: mobile learning
Today I learned quite some things about the approaches followed at the MIT-STEP lab on creating mobile games with visual programming tools. One very interesting platform allows the creation of mobile location-based games with an online authoring environment. The project … Continue reading
The new Bulletin of the IEEE Technical Committee on Learning Technology (Volume 16) is now available at: http://www.ieeetclt.org/content/bulletin-16-2-3 I have one overview article on sensors for learning support: Abstract: One major technology revolution of the last 2-3 years is the broad integration … Continue reading
Kalz, M., Börner, D., Ternier, S., & Specht, M. (2014). Mindergie: A pervasive learning game for pro environmental behaviour at the workplace. In L.-H. Wong, M. Milrad, & M. Specht (Eds.), Seamless Learning in the Age of Mobile Connectivity (397-417). … Continue reading
Bernardo Tabuenca has published two new articles. He is doing work in the area of integrating life-long learning services into every day environments and linking them to the objects we use every day in our studies and learning activities. Title: … Continue reading
Yesterday I gave a masterclass about mobile learning, you can watch the dutch video at: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/43037579 or participate at the masterclass in dutch at (it’s free! thanks to sponsoring of SURF Academy) http://portal.ou.nl/en/web/masterclass-ow-131113/ One interesting issue of discussion was the … Continue reading
For discussing some leadership issues I came across Walt Disney’s creativity model. He talked about “Imagineering” combining imagination and engineering. I think for a lot ot TEL projects it would be good to think more in terms of Walt’s perspectives on bringing dreams to solutions.
Walt had three perspectives on creativity the dreamer, the realist, and the critic.
- The dreamer has no limits, give me a magic wand and all imagination.
- The realist embeds this in reality and ask what is real and what is feasible?
- The critic looks at the most critical barriers and be the devil’s advocate.
So for your next TEL workshop just split up in rooms and take the three positions and try to synchronize them. Can be very helpful !
Some selected links:
Walt Disney about adding sound to cartoons 😉
I am just back from mLearn 2013 the annual world conference on mobile and contextual learning that took place in Doha, Dakar. http://webit.cna-qatar.edu.qa/mlearn2013/ The conference featured an outstanding program and focused on the mobile learning activities in the GCC region (Bahrain, … Continue reading
Thanks to Marco Kalz, for discussing and joint paper on
” Assessing the crossdisciplinarity of technology-enhanced learning with science overlay maps and diversity measures.”
Abstract: This paper deals with the assessment of the crossdisciplinari… Continue reading
On friday 11th of october I gave a master class at the hogschool Inholland (Masteropleiding Leren & Innoveren l Domein Onderwijs, Leren en Levensbeschouwing l Hogeschool Inholland).
About 46 Teachers from mainly sceondary and higher education h… Continue reading
Today I gave a talk at the NBE2013 conference in Pyhä, FInland.
The conference is in a very nice location in Lappland/FInland and the title Media Education in No Man’s Land really fits as we are out in the wild and discussing on the use of media and technologies in education.
Here I provide some background and information for the talk:
All our slides and the referred papers can be found on dspace.ou.nl. In my talk I referred to several related works and organisations these included:
- Kennisnet.nl as the organisation in the Netherlands for linking ICT and Schools.
- http://www.wikiwijs.nl/ is the WIKIwijs project for creating and aggregating learning materials in dutch schools
- 4 in balance for introducing new technologies in eduational settings, this can be found on the kennisnet.nl website
Some PhD Works I referred to are
- Glahn, C. (2009). Contextual support of social engagement and reflection on the Web. Doctoral thesis. September, 18, 2009, Heerlen, The Netherlands: Open University of the Netherlands, CELSTEC. http://dspace.ou.nl/handle/1820/2062
- Verpoorten, D. (2012). Reflection amplifiers in self-regulated learning. Doctoral thesis. November, 9, 2012, Heerlen, The Netherlands: Open Universiteit (CELSTEC). Datawyse / Universitaire Pers Maastricht. http://dspace.ou.nl/handle/1820/4560
- Kelle, S. (2012). Game Design Patterns for Learning. November, 9, 2012, Heerlen, The Netherlands: Open Universiteit in the Netherlands, CELSTEC. Aachen: Shaker Verlag.http://dspace.ou.nl/handle/1820/4512
- The toolking ARLearn I was referring to, you can find information about ARLearn here
- You can soon find my slides on dspace.ou.nl but now already have a look at my slideshare.